Sunday, July 4, 2010

Stop Tilting at Windmills: Finding Dulcinea

In a rather convoluted series of attention-destroying hyper-clicks, I stumbled across Finding Dulcinea this morning, whose "mission is to bring users the best information on the Web for any topic, employing human insight and methodical review."

A beautifully designed website, they offer a collection of useful resources, such as detailed webguides on everything from searching to carpal tunnel syndrome, dedicated search engines,  featured articles, and an excellent series of "On This Day" articles that look beyond the headlines.

For libraries, their series of search engines, Sweet Search, provides access to pre-vetted, age-appropriate sites. The site can be added to your Firefox browser, and includes different versions:

SweetSearch4me: a search engine for young users
SweetSearch for School Librarians:  Searches for content to help teach information literacy
Sweet Sites:  Content by subject and grade level
Sweet Biographies:  Biographical profiles of over 1,000 people
Sweet Search for Social Studies:  Finds their "best social studies content."

A great source for students, teachers and librarians.

How do I know they find good content?  They linked to me, even if they did think I'm a guy... (I confess, it was an ego search that led me to them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment